For the second day this week we have some showers impacting the Texas coastline. These showers extend from Corpus Christi northeast along the coast of Galveston inland to Beaumont and Interstate 20. Be ready for a wet commute and a cloudy beach sunrise.

2015-09-02_5-14-51

A weak area of low pressure along with a weak impulse can be seen on our 500 millibar chart. This low pressure will slowly progress northeast today resulting in diminishing rain chances tonight. Until then we’ll see scatterded to numerous showers and thunderstorm chances along the coast north into Southeast Texas and East Texas. Once the low moves east we’ll see the entire state fall back into a rather calm pattern for the remainder of the week. The jetstream remains well to our north as is normal for the summer months.

2015-09-02_5-25-08

2015-09-02_5-25-34

There is a 25 to 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today along the Texas Coast. In addition there is a 20 to 40 percent chance of afternoon storms across South-Central, Southeast, and East Texas. Severe weather is not anticipated but all thunderstorms inherently producing deadly cloud to ground lightning. Localized minor flooding is possible for those that end up under a heavy core. Rain chances will begin to diminish tonight but we’ll still have activity across Southeast and parts of East Texas into the overnight hours.

2015-09-02_5-23-36

With the chance for precipitation and cloud cover we’ll only see temperatures climb into the upper 80s across the coastline and in Southeast Texas. Heat index values will make it feel just as toasty though. The remainder of Texas will see high temperatures in the 90 to 95 degree range. Del Rio will top out at 98 degrees along with parts of the Permian Basin.

2015-09-02_5-25-34

With meteorological fall underway and my personal love of fall we’ll start out with the higher elevations around Alpine who should get down to 55 degrees tonight. West Texas and the Texas Panhandle should drop into the mid to upper 60s. Low to mid 70s are expected across the rest of Texas.